Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Enjoy this, my friends! If you’re on the fence about meatloaf, or even if you’ve written it off entirely as something you’d never ever try, give this a shot. Consider it adventure eating, like huitlacoche. Or calf nuts.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 slices white bread
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flat leaf parsley, minced
- 4 whole eggs, beaten
- 10 slices bacon, thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour milk over the bread slices. Allow it to soak in for several minutes.
- Place the ground beef, milk-soaked bread, Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and parsley in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in beaten eggs.
- With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined.
- Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan, which will allow the fat to drain. (Line the bottom of the pan with foil to avoid a big mess!).
- Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.
- Make the sauce. Add ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, and hot sauce in a mixing bowl. Stir together. Pour 1/3 of the mixture over the top of the bacon. Spread with a spoon.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Pour another 1/3 of the sauce over the top.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve with remaining sauce.
- Serve with mashed potatoes. Yummy!
my family loves this. I added small amount red pepper and onion and omitted 2 of the four eggs. used 1/2 ground sirloin, 1/2 turkey sausage and half the bacon to cut calories and fat. perfect. goes great with her smashed potatoes.
Applause around the table. A keeper for sure!
The only 2 things about this recipe I liked was the bacon (who doesn't like bacon?), and cooking it on a broiler pan so there was no fat. Otherwise it was completely bland. I do not recommend the milk soaked white bread I did half dry wheat bread ,broke into pieces with better results. Added, sauteed onions, garlic and green peppers to the mix. Had to cook much longer, 1 hour 15 minutes for 160