Recipe by GingerlyJ
My husband was hesitant to eat eat grits but loved this recipe from the Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond's cookbook. Most people eat grits at breakfast but they make a great dinner side dish as well. if you like a little spice in your food, try with chopped jalepenos or green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 9 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked grits
- 4 eggs
- 12 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 garlic, cloves. minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 350.
- add salt to water and bring to a boil in a large saucepan or dutch oven.
- pour in grits and stir to combine.
- cover and cook, for quick grits about five minutes and for regular grits about 15.
- remove grits from heat.
- whisk eggs in a small bowl.
- to temper eggs so they don't scramble, stir in two tablespoons hot grits.
- mix eggs into grits and stir til well combined.
- add the butter one tablespoon at a time and stir til melted.
- add the cheese and stir til melted.
- add in the garlic and cayenne.
- pour grits into a well buttered baking dish and bake 30-35 minutes until bubbly.
- let stand 10 minutes before serving as grits get firmer after the sit a minute.