Pioneer Chocolate-Potato Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until very fluffy and light. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, very well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- Blend together the buttermilk and potatoes.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk mixture. Stir in the vanilla.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into the mixture. Turn mixture into two greased eight inch square baking pans and bake forty-five minutes, or until done. Yield: Two cakes.
- The New York Times Heritage Cook Book.