Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from an old hospital auxiliary cookbook. Not too sweet, but satisfying! Can use your favorite jam instead of the filling recipe below.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine or 1 cup shortening
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb dates
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs and mix.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to a 1/2" thick rectangle with long side facing you.
- Spread with jam or the date filling.
- Roll up like a jelly roll and seal edge.
- If necessary, refrigerate dough for an hour, or overnight.
- Cut into slices about 1/2" thick, and place on a lightly floured baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 10- 15 minutes.
- Filling: Chop dates and nuts.
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Add the dates and cook briefly until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in nuts.