Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are wonderful nut twirls with a brown sugar and cherry topping. They are very easy, but taste and look like you slaved in the kitchen all day :)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 12 maraschino cherries, quartered
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup light cream
- 2⁄3 cup chopped walnuts or 2⁄3 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Place one tsp of melted butter, one tsp of brown sugar and 4 cherry quarters in each of section of muffin tin (12 cups).
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the cream and stir just to dampen the dry ingredients.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12 x 7 inch rectangle.
- Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with nuts.
- Roll from long side, jelly roll fashion.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces and press each piece cut side down into a muffin cup, over cherries, brown sugar and butter.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden.
- Let stand for 3 minutes in pan and then invert onto wire rack.
I made these late this afternoon today. Unfortunately, they were a disaster. Everyone said they lacked sugar.