Recipe by dhardie
I use for rice dishes, refried beans, salads, burritos, tacos, dips, salsa, chips, and quesadillas. The spice mixture makes and excellent rub for meats--pork, beef, or chicken. After applying meat rub, please cover and put in refrigerator for 4 hours. . Please do not soak the beans ahead of time. The spices are absorbed during the cooking process. Recipe takes about 3 to 4 hours. Black beans cook faster than pinto beans.
- 7 tablespoons salt
- 5 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 lb beans (pinto beans or black beans)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- add 2 tablespoons of spice mixture and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to one lb beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Check out the beans for bad beans and stones. Wash beans, Soak in water for 10 minutes. Bad beans will float. Pick beans for bad beans again.
- Make the spice recipe as listed above. Store in dark place in a jar for later use.
- Do not presoak beans. Add 2 tablespoons spice mixture, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, and water to cover one lb beans in a saucer pan. Bring to slow boil. Simmer. Keep beans just covered. Check water every 30 minutes and stir beans to keep beans covered. Add 1/2 cup of water as required. This is very important to keep beans barely covered with water. Beans will be done in 3 to 4 hours. The secret to this recipe is keep the beans just covered with water and slowly simmer. Flavor of spices will be absorbed into beans.