Recipe by morgainegeiser
Beans and rice are usually served separately in Mexico, but, occasionally the two are combined in delicious casseroles. This is quick and easy.
Top Review by StacyMD187373
Pretty tasty. Made for a nice, fairly quick meal. I do admit that I used medium grain white rice instead of brown and used only 2 egg whites. The recipe has both 1 and 1 1/2 tsp chili powder listed, so I used the 1 1/2 which worked pretty well. I also added in some chopped pickled jalapeno for extra heat. Overall, good recipe! Thanks for posting!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly oil a 1-quart casserole or spray with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, beans, and cheese. Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Beat with a fork or wire whisk until well blended. Add to rice mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined. Place in prepared casserole. Press mixture down gently with the back of a spoon.
- Bake uncovered, 35 minutes or until set.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.