Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A nice meal in a pot to satisfy everyones tastebuds!
- 1 lb pinto beans
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lb smoked sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Sort and wash beans.
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Add spices to beans and bring to a boil.
- Using a heavyweight covered pot, simmer 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- Stir occasionally to ensure they do not burn.
- During last hour add sausage.
- During last 1/2 hour make white rice.
- (For this recipe I boil 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt. Once water is rolling add 2 cups white rice. Bring to another boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook on stovetop for 30-35 minutes. Do not uncover pot to stir until cooking time is completed.).
- Serve beans over hot rice.
- Add cheddar cheese and green onions to top if desired.
- ***Note to make these beans thicker, when sausage is added, remove 3/4 cups of the beans from pot and mash. Return mashed beans to pot.***.