Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe I came up with as a substitute for canned chili beans. This is not spicy really but this is usually what you will find the beans called in the grocery aisle. I don't care for kidney beans so I use pintos, but I am sure they would work also. Cooked beans freeze well so it makes sense to cook the whole package and be done.
- Sort and rinse beans to remove bad beans, rocks and dirt.
- Soak overnight or between 6-8 hours.
- Drain and rinse soaked beans.
- Add enough water to cover beans for cooking and add salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cook until tender, approximately 2 hours.
- When cooked, drain water from beans.
- Add tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Heat through to meld flavors.
- Cool and freeze 2 cups of beans in sauce in quart bags.