Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Simply great. I like it with freshly made cornbread with butter...
Make and share this Pinto Beans & Ham recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean, sorted and washed
- 5 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 -8 ounces cooked ham, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Cover beans with water and soak overnight; drain.
- Place beans in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker/Crock Pot with water and remaining ingredients.
- Cover cooker and cook on low setting for 9-10 hours, or until beans are soft and done. Stir a couple of times during cooking, if possible. Serve with cornbread, rice, a green salad or slaw.
Delicious pinto beans and ham! I used rinsed canned beans, cooking on the rangetop instead of Crock Pot---added some chicken broth for the liquid. Very good flavor with the spices. THX for posting!
I did not put in the chili powder, however, will try it next time. This recipe is fantastic. We all loved it.