This makes flavorful "soupy" pinto beans that are great for wet burritos. Our family always called these "make your own burritos" since everyone's end up so unique. Serve with Burrito Meat in the Crock Pot
- Sort beans to make sure there are no small rocks.
- Place beans in large pan and fill with water to within a few inches of the top. Soak beans overnight, or bring to a boil and let sit, covered, off heat for one hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- Refill pot with water. There should be about 3 cups of water per each cup of beans.
- Add bacon grease, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cook about 4-5 hours, or until beans are fairly tender.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover and bring to a boil again. Then turn down to simmer and cook one more hour. Adjust spices to your liking.
- Once beans are tender, you can remove the lid and continue cooking to make the beans less soupy if you prefer.
- Serve with other burrito fixings like taco meat, cheese, onions, tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, olives, etc.