Recipe by MelinOhio
OK, I'm going to tell you how I like my beans, my whole family eats them this way, but it grosses out my husband. Plate of beans and a big slice of cornbread and a big spoon of mayonaise, yummy...I think its a Kentucky thing...
Top Review by jackel37
If made by following the directions, I would give this recipe 3-4 stars. I did follow previous advice. I used 2 lbs of beans, but doubled the seasonings. However, I still found it good, but slightly bland. Then, I mixed in a squirt of ketchup with every serving, and it's GREAT!!!! I would not suggest doubling the salt, however.
- 2 lbs dried pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sort and wash beans; place in a large dutch oven.
- Cover with water 2 inches above beans; let soak 8 hours, drain.
- Combine beans and remaining ingredients in dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 3 hours or until tender, stirring occasionally.