Recipe by Marla in TX
People will actually request for you to make beans. I've taken these to football parties and picnics. People are always saying the beans are great. Beans? From the back of "China Doll" dried pinto bean packaging.
Top Review by StacyMD187373
Great pinto beans! These took longer to cook than stated for me, but they are really tasty. It does make a huge mess of beans, so hope that it freezes well. Made for Bargain Basement Tag Game.
- 473.18 ml dry pinto beans, soaked and rinsed
- 1 ham bone
- 4.92 ml salt
- 0.59 ml hot pepper sauce
- 59.14 ml bacon fat or 59.14 ml shortening
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped or 295.73 ml canned tomatoes
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 2.46 ml marjoram, ground
- 14.79 ml chili powder (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover beans with fresh water. Add ham bone, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat bacon fat in large skillet; cook onion and garlic in fat until golden. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and cook about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine tomato mixture with beans. Add bean liquid as needed to achieve stew consistency. Simmer, covered, over low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Remove ham bone before serving.