1 hr 12 mins
Marla in TX's Note:
People will actually request for you to make beans. I've taken these to football parties and picnics. People are always saying the beans are great. Beans? From the back of "China Doll" dried pinto bean packaging.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dry pinto beans, soaked and rinsed
- 1 ham bone
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped or 1 1/4 cups canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram, ground
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1Cover beans with fresh water. Add ham bone, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- 2Drain beans and reserve liquid.
- 3Meanwhile, heat bacon fat in large skillet; cook onion and garlic in fat until golden. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and cook about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- 4Combine tomato mixture with beans. Add bean liquid as needed to achieve stew consistency. Simmer, covered, over low heat for another 15 minutes.
- 5Remove ham bone before serving.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pinto Bean Stew
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.3
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 524.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: