Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Always on the hunt for simple but satisfying meals that don't burden me with a chiller full of leftovers. This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe published by Taste of Home's Cooking for 2 magazine and would work well with black beans. 6 points on the WW Momentum Plan as per the Recipe Builder.
Pinto Bean Soup
- 78.07 ml chopped onion
- 59.14 ml fresh baby carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- 411.06 g can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 354.88 ml fat free chicken broth
- 236.59 ml chunky salsa, try a roasted garlic or chipotle salsa for best results
- 2.46-4.92 ml cumin
- 78.07 ml whole wheat flour or 78.07 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 29.58 ml cornmeal
- 0.59 ml salt
- 59.14 ml fat-free buttermilk
- 29.58 ml reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded or grated
- 1 scallion, chopped
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray, saute onion and carrots (and garlic if using) until tender. (If the pan appears to be too dry, add a tablespoon or so of the chicken broth.) Stir in the cumin until fragrant. Add the the beans, broth and salsa. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- For dumplings, in a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir in buttermilk, cheese and scallions just until moistened. Drop by tablespoonfuls six dollops onto simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering).