Recipe by luvinlif2k
This recipe for Sopa de Frijol was found in Extending the Table. Submitted for Zaar World Tour 3.
Top Review by LoriInIndiana
Made this for one of my Pick a Chef recipes for Spring 09. It was really easy and very tasty. I can't find my blender, ugh....so I used my Pampered Chef chopper to " puree" an amount of the beans and left the rest whole. I did reduce the oil, using evoo. I used Tabasco sauce in place of the chilies. Adding chicken bouillon with the water to thin to desired consistency worked well and no additional salt was required. Just a personal preference, I might increase the tomato and onion mixture next time and throw in some chopped bell peppers too. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. = )
- 2 tablespoons oil or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 -3 fresh green chilies, finely chopped or 1 -3 Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 4 cups pinto beans (canned or cooked, drain but reserve liquid)
- 2 cups reserved bean liquid
- salt or chicken bouillon powder
- fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil or margarine in a large saucepan.
- Add tomato, onion and green chilies or Tabasco and fry until browned.
- In a blender, liquefy the pinto beans in the reserve liquid.
- Add bean puree to sauteed vegetables along with enough additional water to thin soup to your desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt or bouillon powder and cilantro.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes over low heat to blend flavors.
- Garnish with grated cheese, croutons or crispy tortilla strips.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: serve with quesadillas or grilled cheese sandwiches.