Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A staple in our house when I was growing up in the south. Sometimes my mom would add a cup of macaroni.
- 8 ounces pinto beans
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- Rinse beans and sort for stones.
- Soak beans in enough water to cover overnight.
- Drain off water.
- In skillet, brown bacon.
- Add onion and celery, stir.
- Add spices.
- Add this mixture to drained beans.
- Pour enough water to reach within 3 inches of top of pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 4-5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- When soup is about ready to serve, use a potato masher to crush up some of the beans to make a thicker soup.
Wonderful bean soup; I did add some chopped ham that I had in the freezer. THX for posting.
Yummy. The only thing I changed was added Italian seasoning in place of the marjorim and thyme, as Italian has those and i didn't have any marjorim. Thanks for posting.
I cooked mine with chicken stock instead of just water. Afterwards on the side I had a plate of cooked ham cut in pieces with sliced green onions so everybody could add their own as they wished.