Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
I make these quite often usually on a Saturday for a quick dinner.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup thick tomato sauce (I mixed a 6-oz can tomato sauce with enough water to make a cup)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 6 hot dog buns
- Heat oil and saute onion and bell pepper 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Mash beans lightly with fork or potato masher.
- Simmer, loosely covered, 5 to 7 minutes or til preferred consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on buns.
I haven't tried this recipe but it looks very good. I would not have thought to add wheat germ. I will have to try this soon.
Great recipe! It also works well as filling for tacos!