Recipe by Miss Annie
A bean salad that holds up to all your outdoor barbeques and grilling. This is a good salad with good flavors. Serve with fresh peppers on the side, so each person can kick up the salad to personal preference, or if you all like peppers, go ahead and add it to the beans before serving. Prep time includes soaking for 16 hours.
Top Review by PanNan
Very fresh tasting. I served it with Mexican rice and chicken. We'll definitely make this again. I think I will measure a little lightly on the lemon and lime next time, because it was just a little sour, but really good. Thanks, Annie
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried pinto beans, soaked overnight,and drained
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions with tops, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans in large Dutch oven and cover with fresh water.
- Add bay leaf and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in salt and simmer another 30 minutes, until beans are tender.
- Remove bay leaf and drain beans.
- Allow beans to cool to warm, but no longer hot.
- Combine lemon juice, lime juice and salt.
- Beat in olive oil gradually until mixed well.
- Add garlic and cilantro.
- Check seasonings.
- Pour dressing over warm beans and toss.
- Add chopped tomatoes and onions and toss well.