Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I can't remember which cookbook I pulled this from...but it is very yummy and filling. I highly recommend a nice spicy salsa!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn
- Warm oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, green peppers, and garlic. Cook 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in salsa, tomato sauce, bulgur, thyme, cayenne, and 1/4 c veggie broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans, corn, and remaining stock. Cover and simmer 10 more minutes, until bulgur is cooked.
This is a very tasty dish - nice and hearty! The only change I made was to use a red bell pepper vs.a green one. Bulgur is one of my new favs so I was really glad to find a recipe that uses it. Will definitely make this again! Made for ZWT9-Cajun/Creole, July, 2013.
Having never had jambalaya I found this recipe quick, easy and fun to make. Changes I made - I doubled the recipe and used a red bell pepper and powdered garlic. I had to get Bulgar wheat from the health food store. This is very filling and tasty! I am not used to spicy foods - so next time I will likely use a mild salsa instead. This time I used a medium salsa. Either way - I will make this again! YUM!
Fantastic!! This was so super quick & easy! DH really loved this and I think next time I might add some okra to get even more veggies in there. This was very filling yet low in fat & calories plus it looks & tastes like it took forever to make. Thanks for a keeper SmellyVegetarian!! Made for Veg*n Swap 26!!