Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A great way to get fiber into your eating plan.
Make and share this Pinto Bean & Ground Beef Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 6 ounces cooked ultra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 24 ounces cooked pinto beans, canned to save time
- 15 ounces stewed tomatoes, canned
- 6 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, plus
- 2 teaspoons self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup skim milk
- Saute beef, onion, and pepper.
- Place in a sprayed casserole dish.
- Layer next 3 ingredients.
- Mix milk and corn meal together.
- Pour on top of other ingredients.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
This was really good - btoh DH and I had seconds. It reminds me of a recipe my dad used to make 50 years ago. The only change I made was I used a Mexi-blend cheese, drained and washed the canned pintos (I find it cuts back on gas) and added 6 dashes of hot sauce and 1 tsp of salt to meat mixture. This recipe feeds 6 easily. Will add this little gem to my rotation list. Thanks, Polly
The only reason we didn't give this 5 stars is b/c my husband said pinto beans are not on the same list as filet mignon and lobster! We really enjoyed this recipe. My husband added Texas Pete hot sauce on his and I added a few spring onions to mine. I also added a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top right out of the oven.
This was absolutely wonderful! My family has a bad habit if "forgetting" things like pintos are even in the fridge, so this was the perfect solution. It came out great and my toddler loved it. My hubby said I had better not forget how to make this! The only difference was I had American cheese only and fresh tomatoes that I diced up. It was delish and I'm making it for my grandparents and mom this weekend! Thanks!