Recipe by mermaidmagic
I love this recipe because it is healthy and can be used for many different dishes. My kids love it as a dip with nice crusty bread. My husband enjoys it more not mashed, but as a "soup". It's great with tortilla chips, pita bread, etc. Be creative and Enjoy! (Serving size is a complete guess!)
- 1 lb dry pinto beans
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and strain beans.
- Place in pot, cover with water and soak overnight.
- Drain and add clean cold water to cover beans.
- Add garlic, bay leaf, olive oil, salt& pepper (I usually use approximately 1- 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper).
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Let cook 3 hours or so, until beans are soft, making sure there is always enough liquid in pot.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Mash everything in pot, (including garlic), adding a bit more olive oil if needed.
- Serve warm with crusty bread and enjoy.