Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
The hearty soup with warm your soul on a cold winter's night.
- 1 (1 lb) bag pinto beans
- 10 baby carrots, chopped in half
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 (8 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- Soak beans overnight in water.
- Drain and pick out all bad beans or particles.
- Place beans in a stock pot with 4 cups of water.
- Add ham hocks and bring to a boil.
- Let beans and ham hocks boil for about 10 minutes and then turn down heat to medium.
- Add carrots, garlic, tomatoes, onion and celery.
- Cook for 4 hours on medium.
- By this time the ham hocks should be tender enough to take the meat off of the bone.
- Cut meat into little pieces the size of peas and return meat to soup.
- Discard bones.
- Add salt and pepper by measurement or to taste.
- Cook an additional 30 minutes to an hour to ensure the softness of beans.
This is so very good. I did not change a thing. Will be making this a lot during the fall and winter months. Thanks Tiny Toodles for posting this great recipe.