Recipe by esmerelda smoot
Being a pregnant vegetarian I need quick and easy meals that are healthy and have protein. Here is a great meatless version of a tostada.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup couscous, uncooked
- 4 tostadas
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded lettuce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine beans, broth, water, carrot, and crushed red pepper. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in salsa and couscous. Remove from heat.
- Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve bean-couscous mixture on tostada shells and top with cheese.
- If desired, serve with sour cream, lettuce, and/ or additional salsa.