Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Apache Princess told me about this one as well
- Mash the pinon nuts on a metate with a mano or mash with a mortar.
- Mashed pinons will look like meat, mix mashed nuts with water and salt. Then knead until it is a soft batter.
- Let batter sit a while before cooking.
- Put a large skillet on the fire, when it is hot add the lard or vegetable oil.
- Drop the batter in the skillet by the tablespoonful, flattening out into patties about 3 inches across. Reduce the heat so the cakes cook but do not burn. This bread is tasty either hot or cold.