Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A recipe from The Taste of Home Cookbook. I made the recipe for yellow cupcakes which is at the end. I didn't do the ganache.
- 1 cup butter, softenend
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pink paste food coloring
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup milk plus 1 tablespoon of vinegar)
White Chocolate Ganache
- 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- pink coarse sugar and edible glitter
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and food coloring until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 F for 23-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan, melt chips and butter with cream over low heat; stir until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Chill for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Beat on high for 2-3 minutes or until soft peaks form and frosting is light and fluffy. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert #30 star tip. Fill bag with frosting; frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and edible glitter. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yellow Cupcakes : Omit pink food coloring from batter. Decorate with coarse sugar (color of your choice).
My first time making (and eating) velvet cupcakes, so I have no real frame of reference.
I made these with DD for her 5th birthday- a really easy and child friendly recipe, that she thoroughly enjoyed making.
She was a little disappointed that the pink of the cupcake wasn't as bright as she expected ( but she is a kid!), but apart from that, she and everybody else was very happy with the results.
We made the white chocolate ganache for half of them and Boomette's Vanilla Buttercream Frosting#467332 for the remainder...making half quantities of each recipe ( not a huge amount..so if you like a well frosted cupcake double the quantities).
Thanks Boomie x Made for PRMR.