Recipe by Susie D
This recipe was submitted for RSC 2003 -- I found it in the recipes needing a home and adopted it because it was an entry in RSC #3. The chef who created the recipe wrote... "A fabulous Italian recipe I invented for "Ready Set Cook". The Pine Nuts are a great addition. This is perfect for a weekend dinner when you feel like cooking a good part of the day."
Top Review by ~In*Memory*of*Brats~
OH MY GOD! This was soooooo good! I didn't change anything in the recipe so that I could give a true rating. This was very easy to prepare. I love trying (and creating)new pasta dishes and this one is one of the best new dishes I've tried in a long time! I did serve with a salad as suggested and sprinkled pine nuts in there too with a balsamic dressing. Thanks for a fresh new pasta recipe and good luck!
- 1 lb penne pasta, barilla brand
- 1 1⁄3 lbs pork sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces pine nuts, toasted (directions below)
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted and chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 dry red wine
- 1⁄8 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped (about 9 pieces)
- 1 cup light cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped (ONLY USE FRESH!!!)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large deep fry/saute pan, add 1/4 cup water and sausage.
- Cook till just cooked through.
- Water will start to evaporate.
- When cooked through, remove from pan one at a time and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Return sausage to pan to brown them.
- When sausage AND pan are brown, move sausage to paper towels and set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup more water to pan and stir up all the brown.
- Simmer sauce on low from now on.
- While doing that, in a small saute pan, heat oil and saute garlic for about 3 minutes, add to browned water.
- Add also sausage, wine, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- While this is simmering roast the peppers: Pre heat oven to BROIL.
- Cut each pepper in half longways, scoop out middle, place on olive oil coated cookie sheet face down and brush skins with olive oil.
- Broil for 10 minutes or until skin is black.
- Remove, cool, peel skin, chop them up.
- Add peppers to sauce.
- Start boiling water for Penne.
- Chop up sun dried tomatoes and add to sauce.
- Now start chopping basil.
- I find it easiest to use kitchen shears.
- Set basil aside.
- Toast pine nuts: In a small DRY fry pan, add pine nuts, toast on medium heat till browned.
- Remove from pan, put in small bowl for serving.
- Add Penne to water, hopefully it is boiling now.
- 5 minutes after adding Penne to water, add basil and cream to sauce, stirring constantly.
- Heat only for 5 more minutes.
- Penne and sauce will be done at the same time.
- Spoon sauce& sausage over Penne and sprinkle pine nuts on top.
- Serve with garlic bread and salad.