Recipe by Misa
My grandmother made this dessert salad every Christmas I can remember. The original called for making Dream Whip, and this version has been updated to use Cool Whip. She always just made this from eyeing and tasting, so use your judgement as you add ingredients. Pecan pieces can be used instead of halves, if desired.
Top Review by kittycatmom
My grandma made a dish very similar to this when I was growing up. This sweet salad reminds me so much of that! Thank you so much Misa! Next time I may add a chopped red apple as well for a little crunch! Almost forgot to add... I used Dream Whip as I was out of Cool Whip. Made in Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month for Think Pink Tag
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces pecan halves
- 2 (8 ounce) containers Cool Whip
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package colored miniature marshmallows
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the maraschino cherries, reserving the juice. Set the juice aside. Chop the cherries in half. Set aside.
- Pour in some of cherry juice to the cream cheese and beat with a mixer. Keep adding juice until it reaches desired taste. (Use a bit more than you think is necessary, because the taste will be mellowed out a bit with the Cool Whip.).
- Stir in the cherry halves, pineapple, and pecans.
- Fold in the Cool Whip until mixed, and fold in the marshmallows until everything is well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour before serving.