Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This dish disappears quickly! It's nice because it can be made well ahead of time. The hard part is remembering to remove it from the freezer in time! This season, I'm going to try it with Tofutti cream cheese and a soy whipable topping I recently discovered. ***The 4-6 hours cooking time is time in the freezer! I found this in a recipe book titled, "Homemade for the Holidays."
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 (16 ounce) candrained crushed pineapple
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Cook cranberries in water to cover in saucepan until skins pop; drain.
- Combine with cream cheese, mayo, pineapple, pecans, and 1/4 cup sugar; mix well.
- Whip cream with vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar in mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Fold into salad.
- Spoon into 9x13 inch pan. Freeze until firm.
- Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Cut into squares to serve.
This is very good. I love anything cranberry, so the decision to make this was a no brainer. Quick, and easy. I will be making this for Thanksgiving this year. It was my first experience making my own whipping cream too. How simple is that? I froze the pan, and kept a little out for pictures and sample. The pan is going to my mother to bring to her friends for cards. I will let you know what the ladies had to say. Thaks for this recipe. *** UPDATED 10/26/09 - My mom and her friends said this was excellent, but would probably serve this as a "fluff" salad instead of freezing it. Plus, the cranberries should be given a chopping up before going into this. Some of the chunks were pretty big, and cranberries can be a little bitter. Thanks again.