1/2 Photos of Pink Ricotta Skillet Pie
This experiment grew out of a neighbor's gift of excess ricotta from cooking for our block party. The tomato and extra spice adds a nice kick to the custard. I'd also like to play with the spice mixture when I make this again. I think you could eliminate the heat and add a bunch of dried or fresh herbs. This could also be made in a pie or quiche crust, but I like the simplicity and ease of cleanup of baking in the skillet. This is also a good recipe to double - bake one in the skillet and put the other filling in a pie shell and freeze.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 350.
- 2In a large cast iron skillet on medium heat, cook the onions, garlic and salt until they begin to caramelize. Meanwhile, mix the mozzarella, half the Parmesan, the ricotta and the eggs in a mixing bowl.
- 3To the skillet, add the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, the tomato paste and the spices. Cook until the liquid from the spinach is dried out.
- 4Add the spinach mixture to the cheese mixture and combine well. Put it back into the skillet, smooth the top and top with the remaining Parmesan.
- 5Bake for around 40 minutes. The top should be crispy and golden brown.
- 6Allow 10 minutes rest before cutting and serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pink Ricotta Skillet Pie
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 657.2
- Calories from Fat 419
- Total Fat 46.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 335.5 mg
- Sodium 1179.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 44.2 g