Recipe by JillAZ
From "What's For Dinner?". This is one of my favorite "mexican style" rice dishes. I often serve this as a side to tacos or enchiladas. Easy and tasty.
Top Review by kittycatmom
Very nice! I used fire roasted canned tomatoes. Nice flavor. I decided not to add cilantro... DH doesn't care for it. I added a few chopped jalepeno for a little more heat. Delicious! Thank you for posting! Made for "Think Pink" in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2008.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 small peeled tomatoes, if canned, drained
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- To peel tomatoes:.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Cut a shallow "X" in the bottom of each tomato.
- Plunge tomato into boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove and place immediately in ice water.
- Remove and skins should peel off easily.
- Pour out water from saucepan and place over medium heat. Add oil and warm.
- Add onion an garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Place peeled tomatoes, onion and garlic in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- In the same saucepan, stir rice until coated with the remaining oil.
- Add broth,cumin, salt, pepper and tomato mixture. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until rice is tender about 20 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and sprinkle with cilantro before serving.