Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one from a German grandmother. She will often cook hamburger with onion and make a gravy to blend with it to pour over the pink potatoes.
- 6 medium size carrots
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- Cook the potatoes with salt until done.
- Drain into a colander.
- Cook the carrots separately with some sugar and salt until tender.
- Drain into the colander.
- In one of the pots add the butter and melt and saute the onion till tender.
- Add the flour and cook one minute.At this point stir in the milk.
- Add the potatoes and the carrots and Mash together until smooth.
- Add the salt and pepper and some garlic or onion powder if desired.
These pink potatoes were awesome. We really enjoyed the flavor and texture of this tasty dish. I used Yukon gold potatoes and organic carrots and sweet onions, they were so good in this dish. This was the perfect comfort food dish. I did take your suggestion and served the potatoes with Hamburger Gravy. So happy that I did. I had a very happy hubby and no leftovers, it was that good. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe. Made as written and wouldn't change a thing. Made for Think Pink 2014.
I used baby red potatoes and that made it even more "pink". Delicious potatoes, and a recipe I will make again. Thanks for sharing.
A little different mashed potato! The carrots were quite good in it. I did cook the carrots quite a bit so they would mash better. I didn't add any sugar while cooking, because I thought the carrots were sweet enough without it. Thnx for sharing your recipe Sage. Made for THINK PINK Oct 2009.