Recipe by davianng
I don't know where I got this recipe, but I've been making it for 25 or 30 years. My ex-MIL's boyfriend was at the excruciating end of his terminal pancreatic cancer, and I made some for him, in the hope that he could tolerate maybe THIS, as he couldn't seem to tolerate anything else. It did the trick, and he spent his final days having bowl after bowl of this, and loving every spoonful.
Top Review by ysurf2
I have not made this soup yet as its August in ND, but I have to say I can't wait to make it just because of that wonderful story. How nice it is to be able to make someone so happy with just the simplest of things!
- 3 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 celery rib, diced fine
- 1 carrot, diced fine
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil potatoes, celery, carrot and onion in 1/2 cup water in a covered saucepan for 20 minutes. **Note per 1st review: If veggies are not diced in a VERY fine dice, this will need more than 1/2 cup water to cook. Use water to cover, more if needed.**.
- Add milk, salt, pepper and parsley; bring just to boiling point.
- Mix sour cream, flour and paprika.
- Remove 1 cup hot mix from pan, stir into sour cream mix, return all to pot.
- Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly and flour has thoroughly cooked (or soup will have a "floury" taste).