Recipe by s'kat
An addictive new (to me) substance that I can't seem to stop eating. Fantastic on tacos/tortillas, hamburgers/dogs, as a relish to smoked or barbecued meats, on salads, in salsas, and just plain good straight from the jar. From epicurious/Bon Appetit.
Top Review by canarygirl
OMG! Amazing flavor, S'kat! This was so easy to make too! I ended up having to make the pickling spice from scratch, and used Moxie's recipe #57233. I served with Mean Chef's Pulled Pork #26257 and we were in heaven! I am thinking of all the wonderful things I can do with this new fabulous thing! Thank you!!!
- 2 lbs red onions, thinly sliced,separated into rings
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary (4-inch)
- 2 cups champagne vinegar or 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons whole mixed pickling spices
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1/3 of onions in large (at least 2-quart) jar with tight-fitting lid.
- Add 2 rosemary sprigs.
- Repeat layering twice more with remaining onions and rosemary.
- Bring vinegar, 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, pickling spice, and salt to boil in medium saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour hot liquid over onions, pushing onions down into liquid.
- If necessary, add just enough cold water to cover onions.
- Place lid on jar; refrigerate at least 1 day.
- (Can be made 2 weeks ahead; keep chilled.).