Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Bon Appetit magazine. I want to be able to find this recipe again. This is a non-alcoholic drink, served with club soda.
- 8 whole star anise
- 29.58 ml whole pink peppercorns
- 14.79 ml whole cloves
- 709.77 ml water
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml fresh thyme sprig
- chilled club soda
- Toast anise, peppercorns and cloves in a small skillet over medium-high heat until aromatic, stirring often, about 2 minutes.
- Wrap spices in triple layer of cheesecloth; tie shut.
- Pound with a rolling pin to crush spices lightly.
- Bring 3 cups water and 1 cup sugar to boil in medium saucepan. Add spices in cheesecloth. Remove from heat; cover and allow to steep 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup thyme sprigs. Cover and steep 10 minutes longer.
- Strain syrup into medium bowl. Chill until cold.
- To serve: Fill 8 tall glasses with ice. Divide syrup among glasses. Add 1/2 cup soda to each glass. Garnish with thyme sprigs and peppercorns.