Found this gem of a recipe in a German cookbook named "Vegetarian Food For Every Season". Its a perfect fall dish with great colours and bold flavours. The beets make it a little bit sweet and earthy and the feta adds a nice salty touch. Instead of using all the different pinches of spices, you could also whip up a batch of this and use 1 ts of it in this recipe: Taco Seasoning Mix
- Heat butter in a heavy pot. Add onion and rosemary to it and sautee until translucent.
- Add beets and pearl barley and sautee for 2 more minutes.
- Add enough broth to slightly cover barley and beets and simmer until all of the broth has been absorbed. Make sure to stir frequently so that it wont stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once broth has been absorbed, add more and simmer until everything is tender (about 12 minutes).
- Season with spices and serve garnished with feta cheese.