Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Found this gem of a recipe in a German cookbook named "Vegetarian Food For Every Season". Its a perfect fall dish with great colours and bold flavours. The beets make it a little bit sweet and earthy and the feta adds a nice salty touch. Instead of using all the different pinches of spices, you could also whip up a batch of this and use 1 ts of it in this recipe: Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 400 g beetroots, peeled and diced finely
- 250 g pearl barley
- 700 ml broth (I use veggie)
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground red chili pepper
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 100 g feta cheese, diced finely
- Heat butter in a heavy pot. Add onion and rosemary to it and sautee until translucent.
- Add beets and pearl barley and sautee for 2 more minutes.
- Add enough broth to slightly cover barley and beets and simmer until all of the broth has been absorbed. Make sure to stir frequently so that it wont stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once broth has been absorbed, add more and simmer until everything is tender (about 12 minutes).
- Season with spices and serve garnished with feta cheese.
Although my other half isn't as big a fan of beets as I am, he did like this dish (especially the feta), & I REALLY enjoyed it (inspite of the feta), & the cheese flavor DID combine nicely with that of the beets & barley! Made it as written & will be preparing it again in the future, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Recipenapped & made for a special friend in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 20]