Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a truly delicious pasta recipe! It is quite fast and easy, and a wonderful dish to serve to guests. Coarse salt is a must. Modified slightly from "The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen."
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 453.59 g tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (about 8 oz.)
- 0.59-1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 29.58-44.37 ml vegetable stock (optional) or 29.58-44.37 ml water (optional)
- 29.58 ml fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 453.59 g penne (a 450-500 g box- I mix regular and whole wheat, and I think it tastes best that way)
- coarse salt and black pepper, to serve
- You can make this sauce ahead of time, and it actually tastes better the next day. Only cook enough pasta for the day you are serving it, and serve any leftover sauce with freshly cooked pasta.
- In a skillet, soften the onion in a little water over medium heat. Add the oil and garlic, and saute them, stirring often, till they are starting to caramelize.
- Add the tomatoes, pepper, crushed red pepper and salt/pepper if desired. Raise heat till juices are bubbling. Then turn it down to low and simmer 15-20 minutes, till the bell pepper is well-softened.
- In the meantime, start your pasta cooking in a large pot.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend, adding a few tablespoons of stock or water as needed to make a smooth sauce. Return to the skillet, stir in the basil, cover and keep warm.
- Drain pasta and return it to the pot. Pour in the sauce and stir to coat. Serve with a sprinkle of coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, and a salad.
Great mid week dish ! I used a punnet of cherry tomatoes plus a few sundried to make up the tomato quota. also added fresh herbs from the garden. I blended it with a stick blender so all good !! made for ZWT6.
This is a wonderful sauce. I added some extra red pepper flakes, and we loved the zip. I served with Parmesan cheese on the side for the non-vegans. Thanks for sharing! ZWT6
DELICIOUS! What a great recipe-tastes so light and fresh. The idea of blending is brilliant-stops those picky eaters from eating around the veggies, if you get what I mean. I took the advice of Engrossed and used my immersion blender-fast and easy! Thank you for a great recipe!!! Made for the Think Pink Tag Game In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, October 2008.