1/5 Photos of Pink Mediterranean Pasta Sauce
White Rose Child's Note:
This is a truly delicious pasta recipe! It is quite fast and easy, and a wonderful dish to serve to guests. Coarse salt is a must. Modified slightly from "The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 lb tomato, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (about 8 oz.)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable stock (optional) or 2 -3 tablespoons water (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 lb penne (a 450-500 g box- I mix regular and whole wheat, and I think it tastes best that way)
- coarse salt and black pepper, to serve
- 1You can make this sauce ahead of time, and it actually tastes better the next day. Only cook enough pasta for the day you are serving it, and serve any leftover sauce with freshly cooked pasta.
- 2In a skillet, soften the onion in a little water over medium heat. Add the oil and garlic, and saute them, stirring often, till they are starting to caramelize.
- 3Add the tomatoes, pepper, crushed red pepper and salt/pepper if desired. Raise heat till juices are bubbling. Then turn it down to low and simmer 15-20 minutes, till the bell pepper is well-softened.
- 4In the meantime, start your pasta cooking in a large pot.
- 5Transfer the mixture to a food processor and blend, adding a few tablespoons of stock or water as needed to make a smooth sauce. Return to the skillet, stir in the basil, cover and keep warm.
- 6Drain pasta and return it to the pot. Pour in the sauce and stir to coat. Serve with a sprinkle of coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, and a salad.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pink Mediterranean Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.7
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 6.9 g