Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here is a twist on the traditional gooey butter cookies.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 large lemon, zest grated
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packagepink lemonade flavor cake mix
- granulated sugar, For Rolling
- confectioners' sugar, for rolling
- Put the butter into a large mixing bowl.
- Cream the butter until soft and creamy.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Beat in the egg, lemon extract and lemon zest until combined.
- Add the cake mix and beat just until well mixed.
- If the dough is too soft to roll into balls, cover the bowl and refrigerate the dough for 1-2 hours or until it’s easy to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place some granulated sugar and confectioners’ sugar into separate bowls.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch to 1 1/4-inch balls.
- Drop each dough ball into the bowl of granulated sugar and roll it in the sugar to coat completely.
- Immediately drop the sugared dough ball into the confectioners’ sugar and roll it to coat heavily with the sugar.
- Rolling the dough balls in the granulated sugar first helps the confectioners’ sugar coating not sink into the baked cookies.
- Place the dough balls 2″ apart on ungreased cookie sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes. DO NOT overbake.
- Take the cookies out of the oven when they look a little underdone.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for 1-2 minutes, then remove them from the pans to wire racks and cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container. Makes about 2 1/2-3 dozen.