Recipe by pammyowl
A refreshing summer treat!
Top Review by rosie316
03/18/13: I made these cupcakes yesterday for St. Patty's Day, and definitely plan to make again for Easter (I will post a picture then. (I got too busy in this weekends events to take a picture before they were all eaten up). I will attempt (for Easter) an assorted batch using colored food dyes for the cup cakes. (But just so you know, I tinted this batch green). Funny part is, I did not tell anyone the ingredients (so everyone thought that they must be either "mint flavored" or "white cake with green coloring"). Ha, ha, ha... "Surprise... LEMONADE". It was a delicious, refreshing surprise to all. This recipe could possibly be altered with other flavors using extracts, but it's absolutely perfect the way it is. Make the original pink colored for a summer BBQ (I plan to) and also for Easter. Thank you for a great time and such a wonderful recipe (I'm not a good baker at all, but they still turned out just fine). (Made for New Kids on the Block - Spring 2013) ..... 04/01/13 UPDATE: I made these wonderful little cupcakes again for Easter. I did what I previously said and tinted them different colors by dividing the batter first and using food safe dye. I did not attempt to alter the flavors with extracts, because I did not want to risk them turning out badly on the day they were to be consumed (I will save experiments for a further date). They are quite pretty, and still just as yummy! Thanks again for posting a great recipe.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest and juice, large
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons maraschino cherry juice, for color
- 16 ounces whipped topping
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- PreHeat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Combine butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs in one at a time, mixing well in between.
- Beat in vanilla and lemon zest. Add in red food coloring. As much as desired. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and then add to the batter. Now in a small bowl combine lemon juice and Maraschino Juice. Add slowly to batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until toothpick come out clean. note: they will look pink and spongy on top. this will make 20 big cupcakes or 1 9 inch pan.
- Topping: Combine Whipped Topping and Powder Sugar in a mixing bowl. Add in vanilla, cream of tartar and lemon juice. Combine really well. Once combined put mixer on high and whip. Pipe on cupcakes.