9 hrs 30 mins
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. From Marie Claire. This is the most popular Australian snack, a sure winner at a bake sale. And is it easy! The more traditional Lamingtons have cocoa, but dare to be different. If using cornmeal, pulverize it in a food processor to get a fine flour texture. Preparation time includes 8-hours sitting time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, melted (for greasing)
- 118.29 ml self-raising flour
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml cornflour (see recipe description) or 118.29 ml cornmeal (see recipe description) or 118.29 ml rice flour (see recipe description)
- 6 eggs, at room temperature
- 236.59 ml caster sugar or 236.59 ml superfine sugar
- 946.36 ml unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F). Grease and line a 4cm-deep, 23cm x 28cm lamington pan (1.5" x 9" x 11") with butter and baking paper, allowing the paper to overhang edges of the pan slightly.
- 2Sift flours together into a large bowl three times.
- 3Beat eggs and caster sugar in a mixer on a high speed for 5 minutes until mixture is thick and pale, then scrape into a separate bowl.
- 4Sift flour over egg mixture and gently fold until just combined.
- 5Spread mixture into a lamington pan and bake for 28-30 minutes until pale golden and sponge springs back when touched in the center.
- 6Cool in the pan, then cover with a tea towel and set aside overnight.
- 7NEXT DAY:
- 8Turn out sponge, trim edges and cut into 24 squares.
- 9Spread coconut over the base of a baking tray.
- 10MAKE ICING:.
- 11Crush raspberries in a bowl with a fork, stir in 2 tablespoons of boiling water, then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 12Sieve raspberry mixture into a clean bowl, discarding solids.
- 13Sift icing sugar into a bowl.
- 14Combine 1/3 cup of raspberry liquid and 1 cup of boiling water, stir into icing sugar and whisk until smooth.
- 15Whisk in enough food coloring to reach desired color.
- 16Dip one sponge at a time into icing, turning quickly to coat and allow excess to drip back into bowl.
- 17Roll in coconut and place on a wire rack to set.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pink Lamingtons
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.3
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 83.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 45.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g