Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is another of our family favorites that makes for an excellent addition to the serving tray. Looks very appealing on the holiday platter and great for special occasions. I often substitute the graham crumbs with crushed Nillas. Just as good untinted - but as my mom reminds me " always make the icing using the juice from a real lemon" - realemon will work but she's right ... that lemon juice makes for awesome!
- 2 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (300 ml) caneaglebrand condensed milk
- 2 cups fine coconut
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (chopped fine)
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cream or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (use a real lemon)
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- food coloring, just enough to make for pale pink
- BASE: In large bowl mix graham wafer crumbs, butter and flour and press into a greased 9x9 inch pan.
- Bake at 275 degrees five minutes, take out of oven and cool.
- TOPPING: Mix the Eaglebrand condensed milk, coconut and pecans and spread over base.
- Bake at 325 for 20 to 25 minute (ovens may vary) being careful not to over bake.
- Cool and ice with Lemon Icing.
- Lemon Icing: In medium bowl beat together the butter, cream and lemon juice.
- Add in the icing sugar, adding more if needed for desired consistency and add just a small amount of food coloring to make for pale pink.
I used Nilla wafers instead of graham crackers, and put about twice as much lemon in the icing. I can't tell you how many people have told me this is the absolute best dessert they have ever had!
DELICIOUS! Very easy and goes together quickly. Made for the office and not a crumb was left! Thank you, Gerry, for a great recipe! Made for the Think Pink Tag Game In Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, October 2008.
Absolutely delicious even though my crust didn't hold very well. I believe this was due to my using ready-made crumbs rather crushing my own graham crackers. Whatever the reason I will make these again as they were a super hit at our place. I might try it with the nilla wafers. Made for the RS#40.