Recipe by dicentra
Yahoo Group Files. NOTE: The marmalade is best served after resting for 1 week. You can change the way the rind is prepared in this recipe. You can slice it as thin or as thick as you like to suit your taste.
Top Review by anonymous
This was fantastic! I love this combination of flavors - at first I was worried that it was too tart but after tasting later I changed my mind and decided it was perfect! It set up beuatifully and was just tart enough! I buy a box of grapefruits every year and am always looking for creative and delicious things to do with them so thanks so much for posting this recipe - it will become a staple every winter from here on out!
- 3 -4 large pink grapefruit
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup unsweetened pomegranate juice
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) packagepowdered pectin
- 4 1⁄2 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a paring knife or vegetable peeler, remove peel from the grapefruit in large strips than thinly slice it to make 1/4 cup. (try not to get too much pith with it, it can make it bitter).
- In a small saucepan, combine peel and water. Bring to a boil over high
- heat then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or
- until the peel is softened. Set aside.
- Remove and discard any remaining peel and pith from grapefruit. Finely chop grapefruit, discarding seeds and any connective membranes.
- Measure to make 3 cups, including juices.
- In a large nonreactive saucepan, combine grapefruit, cooked peel with liquid and pomegranate juice.
- Bring to a full boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in pectin until dissolved. Bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar in a steady stream, stirring constantly. Return to a full boil, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam. Stir for 5 to 8 minutes to prevent floating rind. Ladle into prepared jars leaving a 1/4" headspace.
- Process jars in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Adjust time according to your altitude.