Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Perfect for brunch, this unusual fruit salad can be made the day before. The gorgeous color comes from the juice of the cactus pear.
- 1 prickly pear cactus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 1 cup green seedless grape, halved
- Wearing rubber gloves, cut skin from cactus pear and discard.
- Chop pear coarsely; puree in blender, then strain through sieve into large bowl; discard seeds.
- Stir in sugar and lime juice until sugar is dissolved, then stir in remaining fruit.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate overnight.
Excellent winter fruit salad. I used a can of pineapple tidbits. I added more citrus to the tasty "sauce" for a few days.
Don't think I've ever used 'prickly pear cactus' in a recipe, & although I thought it would be hard to find, it wasn't, & the resulting fruit compote is DELICIOUS! Really enjoyed all the citrus fruits in this as well! A keeper of a salad recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Think Pink Tag Game in Honor of Breast Cancer Awareness]