From Carl Jerome’s cookbook, Cooking for a New Earth. He says, “This soft, delicately flavored sorbet makes an elegant light finish to a late summer meal. There is enough vodka in the recipe not only to add balance to the flavors of the fruits, but also to make this an adult dessert. You can, of course, use sliced fresh strawberries instead of the raspberries. Eaux-de-vie are flavored white brandies. Inexpensive white brandies taste like chemically scented gasoline, but the fine, expensive eaux-de-vie have the fragrance of a field of fresh fruit, the texture of the fruit as you swallow, and a burst of alcohol in the back of your throat. Rare as they are, eaux-de-vie are worth exploring. They are not like flavored vodkas.” This recipe requires a blender or food processor and an ice cream maker. Cook time doesn't include freeze time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Toss the melon into a blender or food processor and process until it forms a thick, chunky liquid. Pour into a separate bowl.
- 2Add the raspberries to the blender or processor and add about half the liquefied melon. Blend until smooth. Pour through a strainer, and repeat with the remaining melon until you have a light pink melony-tasting mixture with a hint of raspberry.
- 3Stir in the vodka or a framboise eau-de-vie and a teaspoon or so of sugar, as needed, to make the liquid just a touch on the sweet side, as freezing it will reduce its sweetness.
- 4Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- 5Serve immediately or transfer to a microwave-safe freezer container and store in the freezer. The sorbet will become very hard. To soften before serving, microwave on high for 1 minute 15 seconds to 1 minute 30 seconds.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pink Cranshaw Sorbet With Vodka
Serving Size: 1 (19 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: