Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are so adorable. They would be good for a girls party or a shower. These need to be made ahead of time as they are a bit labor-intensive.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- red food coloring
- 2 1⁄2 cups flaked coconut
- Make the cupcakes:.
- Heat oven to 350°F; prepare 10 large size muffin tins. I suggest not using paper liners for this. If you do you will have to remove them before frosting.
- Beat butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about five minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat well.
- Sift flour with baking powder and soda.
- Add 1/4 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, then add vanilla and 1/3 of the buttermilk.
- Repeat, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Scrap well after each addition.
- Fold in coconut.
- Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake about 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in tins about 5 minutes. Remove and cool completely. If you used paper liners, remove the liners.
- Make the frosting:.
- Combine butter, cream cheese, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth and spreadable. Add a drop of food coloring and blend to make a light pink frosting.
- To make the snowballs:.
- When cupcakes are cool, freeze them on parchment paper about 20 minutes.
- Spread a thick, even layer of frosting all over each cupcake, sides and bottom too.
- Freeze on parchment again for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 day.
- Spread a second, thick, even layer of frosting all over them.
- Sprinkle generously with coconut, about 1/4 cup per snowball.