These are a little different from the versions already on Zaar, so I thought I would share. Very pretty for Valentine's Day, baby showers, or of course, holiday cookie trays. Prep time does not include chilling time (at least 4 hours) and cook time is per batch. You may make the dough in advance and freeze it, but once the cookies have baked, eat them up within 3 days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sweet unsalted butter, at room temperature (no substitues)
- 3/4 cup shortening (such as crisco - use the white kind)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract (or any other red berry flavored extract)
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups red maraschino cherries, drained,finely chopped
- 9 drops red food coloring, approximately
- 1 1/2 cups dried shredded coconut
- 1Cream together butter and shortening.
- 2Add sugar, baking soda, salt and beat to combine, scraping down the sides as needed.
- 3Beat in egg, egg yolk, milk, and extracts.
- 4Grab a wooden spoon, and stir in flour, one a cup at a time (using a mixer now would toughen the dough).
- 5Mix in food coloring (enough drops to tint dough pink) and cherries (make sure they are very well drained).
- 6Divide dough into 3 portions, and then form each portion into a 10" log and roll in coconut so that the outside of the dough is covered (press with your fingers if needed).
- 7Wrap well in wax paper and chill at least 4 hours until very firm.
- 8Preheat oven to 375F.
- 9Slice off 1/4" thick rounds and bake on parchment lined baking sheets 2 inches apart for approximately 12 minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pink Cherry Coconut Cookies Aka Santa's Blushing Whiskers
Serving Size: 1 (16 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 108
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.8
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.1 mg
- Sodium 10.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 0.7 g