Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These are a little different from the versions already on Zaar, so I thought I would share. Very pretty for Valentine's Day, baby showers, or of course, holiday cookie trays. Prep time does not include chilling time (at least 4 hours) and cook time is per batch. You may make the dough in advance and freeze it, but once the cookies have baked, eat them up within 3 days.
- 3⁄4 cup sweet unsalted butter, at room temperature (no substitues)
- 3⁄4 cup shortening (such as crisco - use the white kind)
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cherry extract (or any other red berry flavored extract)
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups red maraschino cherries, drained,finely chopped
- 9 drops red food coloring, approximately
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried shredded coconut
- Cream together butter and shortening.
- Add sugar, baking soda, salt and beat to combine, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Beat in egg, egg yolk, milk, and extracts.
- Grab a wooden spoon, and stir in flour, one a cup at a time (using a mixer now would toughen the dough).
- Mix in food coloring (enough drops to tint dough pink) and cherries (make sure they are very well drained).
- Divide dough into 3 portions, and then form each portion into a 10" log and roll in coconut so that the outside of the dough is covered (press with your fingers if needed).
- Wrap well in wax paper and chill at least 4 hours until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slice off 1/4" thick rounds and bake on parchment lined baking sheets 2 inches apart for approximately 12 minutes.