Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe comes from the Riverside Cup of Tea's, (where I used to work as a server) cookbook. It is quite beautiful with its three layers and pink icing and yummy if you like coconut, pecans and marischino cherries. The original recipe called for a full cup of oil. I've changed it a bit to make it a little lighter
- 1 (18 ounce) package cherry chip cake mix
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup angel flake coconut
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped
- 1 lb powdered sugar (about 3 3/4 c.)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup cherry juice (from maraschino cherries)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, chopped and lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup cherries, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- Beat first six ingredients together for 4 minutes. Fold in coconut and cherries to cake mixture.
- Line bottom of three 8" or 9" cake pans with wax paper or parchment paper or just spray pans with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done. Test with a toothpick. Cool in pans 10-15 minutes. Remove and fully cool.
- Frosting: Mix powdered sugar with butter, shortening, milk, cherry juice, and vanilla. Then add pecans, cherries and coconut. (Add more liquid or powdered sugar to desired consistency.) Frost in between each cake layer, then finish with the sides and top.
- Store in refrigerator until serving time.
Our mobile home park had a small Think Pink potluck in early October & I made this cake for that get-together! Was a big success, especially with those of us sporting sweet tooths! Made the cake according to your recipe & it made for not only a great presentation, but also a very satisfying & tasty dessert! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for the current Think Pink Special]