Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from the new Country Woman Christmas issue.
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Drain cherries, reserving juice.
- Coarsely chop cherries, set aside cherries and juice.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and cherry juice.
- Stir into dry ingredients just unil combined.
- Fold in walnuts, coconut and cherries.
- Transfer to two greased 8x4x2 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
- Makes 2 loaves.
After reading all the hoopla on the posts about this bread I just had to make it. My three year old and I made it together-so it is pretty eay to make. The loaves were done in about 55 minutes. The bread passed my daycare kids test. They loved it and asked for more. I actually found it more flavorful as it cooled down. Great recipe. Added to cookbook and will cook again.
I made this recipe following the directions exactly, with very good results. I can understand the temptation to add liquid as the dough is very thick, but remember that the cherries and coconut have moisture that will cook out during the baking process. I am not a big fan of maraschino cherries, but this is a loaf even I can enjoy. The bread is moist and very dense. A great addition to a holiday buffet. Thank you for sharing.
The batter is very thick but do not add water or any other kind of liuid.