Prep 6 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Not overpoweringly sweet, this breakfast has tasty fall flavors. When pink lady apples are available and at their best, use them for a wonderful flavor in this muesli.
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup vanilla-flavored soymilk (see my recipe if you don't have any on hand)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 apple, pink lady if you can find 'em
- 2 -3 tablespoons pecans, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried sweetened cranberries (optional)
- soy yogurt (optional)
- The night before, mix the oats and spices together in a bowl, then add the soymilk.
- Add the pecans too if you want to soften them a bit.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, grate 1/2 the apple (no need to peel) and stir it into the oats, along with pecans if you didn't add them yet.
- Stir in yogurt if desired.
- Dice the other half of the apple and dump it on top.
- Add the cranberries if you want a sweeter muesli. You can either add them the night before, or soak for 2-3 minutes in hot water to cover,drain and sprinkle them on in the morning. (They'll make your muesli really pink!).
Delicious! I used regular low-fat milk and walnuts instead of pecans; I didn't use the optional cranberries. Light tasting yet filling, and not too sweet - great breakfast - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Think Pink Event, October 2010
WOW!!! This is one of the best oatmeal recipes Ive ever come across! It has bold flavours, is sweet without added sugar and so easy to make, too! I could easily see this as my new go-to breakfast. The apples and spices add a wonderful flavour, which reminded me of traditional German Holiday sweets. :) I used the smaller quantity of oats and milk and still had a very satisfying meal. As I cant have soy, I used a chai-spiced oatmilk, so that it had the cinnamon and nutmeg already included (also some ginger and cloves). Mmmm! Oh and I left out the pecans as Im allergic. Will try the cranberries next time. THANKS for sharing this superb recipe with us, WRC! Made and reviewed for Think Pink Octobre 09.
I absolutely adore your oatmeal recipes Amber. This one is right up there with my favorites. I just happened to have PinkLady apples in my crisper and so this worked perfectly. I opted out of using the vanilla soy and used a dash of skim milk. Did the sprinkling of the cinnamon, nutmeg and a bit of Splenda. Chose not to use the pecans either. Vanilla yogurt was a nice addition too. Thanks for a winner~ Made for MarketTag~